Medical dramas have more often than not been immensely popular on TV. The intense life and death stories, Adonis like surgeons, uber- competitive super- attractive residents, wacky patients, natural disasters, passionate hospital romances, the never- ending drama; keeps the viewers hooked week after week.
And propagates a ton of lies and half- truths!
They present a seriously distorted concept of what a surgeon’s life is like.
Of course there are times, when interesting, intense, exciting things transpire in the operating room or in the surgical wards. After all art does imitate life. But most days in the “office” for the surgeon are mundane and uneventful. Some days can be borderline boring even!
Here are the top ten lies/ myths about surgeons that is often dispersed on medicine/ hospital based TV shows:-
1. All surgeons DO NOT look like this…..
Na.. Not this either.
We are mostly plain Joes and Janes who have spent a better part of their life labouring over books and cadavers.
Also, most of us like to remain and be photographed with our mouth- masks on. Makes us look more mysterious and attractive.
2. Surgeons don’t always marry surgeons. And romance is not always in the air!
3. Every surgery is not an emergency. Every patient doesn’t CODE. And every patient does not bleed gazillion litres of blood.
4. We can NEVER talk back to our consultants and senior surgeons, the way they do in movies and on TV. EVER.
5. We are all NOT borderline alcoholics.
6. Unlike popular perception, not all consultants drive to work in this-
7. Our lab coats aren’t always clean and immaculately pressed. Our scrubs aren’t always spiffy
8. We are usually not allowed to have our hair run wild. Our senior female consultants would kill us if we went in like this-
Hence the tamed hair.
9. We do not come to work with perfectly made-up faces with false lashes to boot.
10. And finally, unlike what TV may show you, we DO have a life outside the hospital.
That is all for today, folks.
Lot more tales from the operating room yet to come.
Till the next tale…..