Unpublished

Saved 5 years ago

‘Getting a driving licence in Qatar’ and other such mundane matters.

I receive a whatsapp message this morning. The generic, forward kind. The kind you get from a chronic offender of the inpardonable sin of sending unamusing, irrelevant, inane forwarded messages that no one reads.

This one read..

Virtually nothing is impossible in this world if you just put your mind to it and maintain a positive attitude.

Lou Holtz said it apparently.

Pshhsht!

Innumerable things are impossible in this world.

Saved 5 years ago.

Getting old, am I?

Today, I called a 24 year old intern A KID. Yes. And he calls me Mam!

I don’t go to the movies anymore.

I don’t wear “fashion” (read fake, blingy stuff they sell at Accessorize) jewelry. It has to be the real deal (gold…ahem platinum, *cough* diamonds) or nothing.

I only wear T- shirts at home or in the gym, and under my jackets while running. They can never be “outside attire” anymore.

I cut my hair short, to look ‘younger’. And I have started glancing back at anything that says “anti- aging”.

I think canvas handbags are passé and think low- rise pants are hideous.

I would not consider wearing a headband to tame my persistently naggy fringe. I only wear prim, prissy hair clips. And high ponies look juvenile to me.

Saved 5 years ago.

The cutters and the prescribers.

I am a cutter who is currently on a prescribing rotation.

The surgeons are the cutters and the internists are the prescribers.

Before I started, I was convinced that this was a bad idea, a waste of my time. I have done medicine rotations during my undergraduate years and during my previous residency, I barely remember how they passed and I’m not entirely sure what I gained from them.

I was sure to hate every moment of it.

Must be the fact that I’m older now (and consequently/ hopefully wiser!), or maybe three time’s the charm; apart from the occasional bouts of ‘blood withdrawal’ and ‘OR wistfulness’, I am NOT hating every minute. Dare I say I might even be enjoying it a teeny, tiny bit!

Na, I am definitely not enjoying it enough to cross over to the other side, but I can see the appeal of the medical specialities. These are guys who are paid to think, investigate, probe, discuss, consult, dig into the patient’s past like no one else before them and endlessly fiddle about with the patient’s medication profile. Everyday, they see folks who sometimes down over 30 pills a day with a few shots of insulin shots in for good measure, and a couple of sessions of hemodialysis as an outpatient. As a surgeon, I cannot see beyond row 5 on the medication chart. And to me, calculating doses for patients who barely have any kidney function left, have cirrhotic livers and have failing hearts with flip

Saved 3 years ago.

Untitled

I fell off the blog rail once again. To be honest, it rarely crossed my mind. Life consumed every ounce of energy and life force that I had and then some more!

In a way, it was is a wonderful way to live. Full, intense and gratifying. Oh! and did I mention- I HAD A BABY. A few days ago. A boy, this time.

Being the mother of a newborn is the most singularly lonesome experience. The burden is mostly yours to bear. Loneliness has been known to turn people toward the written word. The genesis of this blog was during my

Saved 4 years ago.

Good days and bad days.

I classify days into the good, the bad, the ugly and the meh. Most days are I admit “meh”. Today, I am yet to decide if it is a good day or an ugly one.

Saved 6 years ago.

Adventures of lil Z…

Lil Z loves new places. Mama loves new places as well and has taken lil Z to many, many new places both before and after “the great journey” (when Lil Z left her watery home and came into to her new home where she could see Mama and Papa).

Mama took several plane rides when Z was inside her. The last one was when lil Z was 10 cm big – it took longer than others. And after that, lil Z reached her new home or rather Mama reached her new home.

The first place that Papa took Mama to after she reached new home Mama was near the water. Lil Z loves water. Papa told Mama the place was called “corniche”. Wonder what that means. On the way, we saw many big and shiny buildings. The light in the buildings even changed color! Lil Z had never seen such tall and colourful buildings before.

The water was still and blue. Looked like a swimming pool that Z had seen before. Not at all like the ocean that Z had seen in her ancestral home in Kerala, nor like the murky lake that she had seen at Mama’s home in Bangalore. The water was clear. The water was framed by the shiny buildings on one side. Lil Z thought it looked beautiful. Mama thought it looked beautiful (you see, back then lil Z could feel what Mama was thinking!). Papa told Mama that unlike Dubai, this is the only place In Doha where there are tall, shiny buildings. Apparently, this was Doha’s “famous (and only) skyline”. Aah! So our new home is called Doha.

Mama, Papa and I went to Corniche almost every single day, thereafter. I kept growing inside Mama and she got very big and clumsy. Even then, we went. It was cold then. And we all liked the ocean air. It was very noisy though. The road runs along the walking path. So many fast cars (and sometimes fast, very loud bikes) whizzed past us.

Sometimes, we would all leave home (to go walking at Corniche) and then come back without doing so. Apparently on some days, Papa does not find space to leave (“park”…. is that the right word?) his car. Those days, the weather was so nice that many families (like us J) used to get their chairs and mats and food and sit there till late night- chatting, relaxing. The kiddies ran around, rode their bikes or were taken around in their strollers.( Uff! There were sooo many strollers. Good, I will have lots of friends when I grow up!) There were some ladies who had watermelon tummies like Mama as well. Maybe there were little kiddies inside. Just like me!

As Mama walked, lil Z saw that many around her were running with wires coming out of their ears. Just like how they would in the parks, at Mama’s place (“Ban-ga-lore” ….did I say it right?). Mama tells me they do it to remain “fit”. Mama does that too, now. But she complains that there are not many parks in our city. She misses her “home” city at times. Also, nowadays it is so hot that not many people come to the Corniche. But Papa likes it. He gets “parking”. We went there today after Mama and Papa broke their “fast”. It was nice. There were weird looking things hanging off the trees there which I had not seen before. They looked like the things Mama and Papa eat while breaking their fast. There were lots and lots of them!

Anyways my dear aunties and uncles, lil Z is very sleepy. It has been a long, hard today. I learnt how to laugh aloud today. Cool, no? Never knew I could do that. And all that rolling over back and forth is making my neck hurt. I am going to “hit the sack” as Papa says. Here are some pictures that Mama clicked. Come over to my home sometime okay. Lil Z will show you around…..

Lil Z.

Would love to hear from you folks! Do comment (email optional)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s